The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) can fund supports to help you with employment where these are beyond the requirements of employment services and employers.
The NDIS can also fund supports you would require regardless of the activity you are undertaking.
These supports could include:
- Personal care or assistance with transport where you require these supports regardless of the activity you are undertaking
- Assistive technology devices such as wheelchairs, personal communication devices, or a hearing aid
- Supported employment, such as services offered by Australian Disability Enterprises
For more specific information on these supports see the NDIS fact sheet: Mainstream Interface – Employment (DOCX 205KB)
School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES)
If you are in Year 12 the School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) may help you. The SLES is about giving you the skills and confidence to help you move from school to employment.
Video caption: NDIS Stories – School Leaver Employment Supports
To access the transcript for this video follow this link: NDIS Stories – SLES (HTML)
To learn more about the SLES visit the NDIS website: School Leaver Employment Supports
Disability Employment Services (DES)
Disability Employment Services may help you find work and keep a job.
Through Disability Employment Services, you may be able to receive assistance to prepare for, find and keep a job. More information about DES can be found here: Disability Employment Services.
Disability Employment Services has two parts:
- Disability Management Service (DMS) is for job seekers with disability, injury or health condition who need assistance to find a job and occasional support in the workplace to keep a job.
- Employment Support Service (ESS) provides assistance to job seekers with permanent disability to find a job and who need regular, ongoing support in the workplace to keep a job.
JobAccess can provide you with all the information you need on disability employment, including Disability Employment Services.
JobAccess is a comprehensive website and a telephone information service that provides advice on disability employment related matters. It offers help and workplace solutions for you and your employer.