Skip to main content

What support can I get through the NDIS?

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) may fund supports to help you use your residual vision. For it to be funded it needs to be linked to an outcome you have identified in your plan.

The NDIS can pay for supports that are reasonable and necessary for you. This means they are related to your disability and are required for you to live your life and achieve your goals.

You can read more about reasonable and necessary supports on the NDIS website.

You may benefit from the use of different equipment around the home that you can use with your residual vision.

Equipment can range from optical aids to electronic magnifiers to different lighting options.

Specialist like Orthoptists, Occupational Therapists, and Assistive Technology Consultants can assist you to identify what equipment you may need to best use your remaining vision.

What type of services can I get through a Provider?

The types of services you can get through a provider can vary. Typically these are the types of support you can get:

  • Assistance with reading including different optical and electronic aids
  • Watching TV
  • Addressing any issues you have with glare
  • Reading environmental print, such as street signs and bus numbers

Therapy services that may be useful

Therapy and support services are available through service providers to assist people across a range of ages and disabilities in their homes, at school, at work and in the community.  These services need to be individualised to meet your goals. For more details on each role please refer to the providers page.