Skip to main content

What support can I get through the NDIS?

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) may fund supports to help with personal and practical issues. For these to be funded, they need to be linked to a goal that you have identified in your plan.

The NDIS can pay for supports that are reasonable and necessary for you. This means they are related to your disability and are required for you to live your life and achieve your goals. You can read more about reasonable and necessary supports on the NDIS website.

The NDIS can help support you to live independently.

This includes:

  • Supports that build your ability to live independently in the community, supports to improve living skills, budgeting and household management skills, social and communication skills and behavioural management
  • Home modifications to your own home or a private rental property and on a case-by-case basis in social housing
  • Support with personal care, such as assistance with showering and dressing
  • Help around the home where you may be unable to undertake these tasks due to your disability, such as assistance with cleaning and laundry

The NDIS may also contribute to the cost of accommodation in situations where you have a need for specialised housing due to your disability.

What other supports for housing are available?

Most NDIS participants will continue to access housing in the private market – rental or home ownership. Others may access social housing programs.

This include:

  • Social and community housing
  • Homelessness and emergency accommodation services
  • Commonwealth Rent Assistance, a payment through the Department of Human Services that assists eligible participants with the cost of housing
  • The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) that is creating additional affordable rental properties

NDIS participants continue to be responsible for daily living costs such as rent, groceries, utility bills and housing costs.

What type of services can I get through a Provider?

The types of services you can get through a provider can vary. Typically these are the types of support you can get:

  • Information on available pensions / benefits
  • Supporting you when under emotional distress
  • Working with you on personal problems
  • Addressing accommodation issues / living arrangements
  • Carer support
  • Post secondary support
  • Identifying suitable community resources
  • Helping you deal with grief issues
  • Supporting you with family problems
  • Helping you overcome social isolation
  • Providing advice on home help and home care
  • Providing access to support and peer groups

Therapy services that may be useful

Therapy and support services are available through service providers to assist people across a range of ages and disabilities in their homes, at school, at work and in the community.  For more details on each role please refer to the providers page.