Skip to main content

Getting around can cover many things including how you get to:

  • Visit your family and friends
  • School or work
  • Shops and cafes
  • Sport, recreational, and leisure activities
  • Parks or other areas of interest.

Your National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) plan may include supports to help you do these things.

Can I get help to learn how to get around?

Your level of mobility has a significant impact on your independence, including your employment prospects, social life, self-esteem, and participation in the community.

You may want to have an assessment by an Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Specialist in your plan. These specialists can advise on what training, aids and equipment you may need to:

  • Move confidently through spaces
  • Make the best use of your remaining vision and other senses to find your way
  • Find the safest travel routes to destinations such as shops, work, the doctor, gym, school or university
  • Cross the road safely and independently
  • Travel on buses and trains
  • Use the most appropriate mobility aid to meet your needs
  • Develop skills for self-orientation, including echolocation
  • Receive help and support to access the community
  • Preparation for travel to unfamiliar areas such as inter-state or overseas.

If you live in a rural and remote area you can still ask about services offered in your area.

For example, VisAbility provides a Remote Orientation and Mobility (ROAM) program to provide training to people via video conferencing.

To learn more about O&M Specialists see the providers page.

What type of aids and equipment are available?

Examples of aids and equipment typically obtained through the NDIS include:

  • ID canes
  • Long canes
  • Electronic mobility aids
  • Navigation apps
  • A Guide dog.

What help can I get with transport?

Transport supports include supports that enable you to build skills to independently travel, including through specific aids and equipment, or training to use public transport.

Your transport supports may also include the reasonable and necessary costs of taxis or other private transport options if you are not able to travel independently, as well as transport to and from school for students.

Transport supports only relate to you and do not relate to travel for your family or carers.

What level of help is there?

The NDIS has 3 levels of support for transport:

Level 1

The NDIS will provide annual funding if you are not working, studying or attending day programs, but are seeking to get into the community more.

Level 2

The NDIS will provide annual funding for participants who are currently working or studying part-time (up to 15 hours per week), participating in day programs and for other social, recreational, or leisure activities.

Level 3

The NDIS will provide annual funding if you are currently working, looking for work, or studying, at least 15 hours per week, and are unable to use public transport because of your disability.

To learn more about the current annual funding NDIS can provide please see their website: Transport

What other assistance can I get with getting around?

Depending on your level of vision you may be eligible for benefits not funded by the NDIS. These could be:

  • Travel pass for free public transport for you and a carer
  • Taxi User Subsidy Scheme.

You can find out more information on these through a specialised Provider.