Higher or vocational education and training
Are supports available if studying in higher or vocational education and training?
Some participants in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) may be studying through a higher education or vocational education and training (VET) provider. This could include undertaking a university degree, apprenticeship or training course.
Some participants will require additional support as a result of their disability in order to undertake this education.
What supports are funded by the NDIS?
The NDIS will fund supports which are related to the participant’s disability and that enable participants to engage in higher education or VET courses .
- Personal care on campus related to the participant’s disability such as assistance with eating or self-care
- Assistance with transport to and from campus required because of the participant’s disability
- Specialised or intensive support to transition into higher education and VET, or transition once the participant finishes studying
What supports are not funded by the NDIS?
The Education system is responsible for assisting students through teaching and educational resources.
- Employing teachers, learning assistants, and facilitating access to educational resources
- Learning-specific aids and equipment such as computers and text books
- Making reasonable adjustments to the educational curriculum to enable access by people with disability
- Reasonable adjustments to campus buildings, such as ramps, and fixed or non-transportable equipment such as hoists
- Transporting students with disability on the same basis as other students for educational activities such as excursions or field trips
Will the NDIS fund someone doing a course?
The cost of undertaking a course is generally the responsibility of the Education system or individuals and families. The NDIS will fund supports that enable participants to develop independent living skills.
If a Participant is registered with an employment program (e.g. Disability Employment Services) this training may be provided or funded as part of their Employment Plan. Refer to the My workplace page for more information.
What happens next?
Participants and their families should discuss their educational goals with the NDIA as part of their planning conversation.
The participant’s plan will include the supports the NDIS will fund for the participant and those supports which are the responsibility of the education system.
For more information on the NDIS and Higher Education see the NDIS factsheet: Supports the NDIS will fund in relation to higher education and vocational training (DOCX, 222.37KB)