Skip to main content

How do I get NDIS funding?

To find out if you are eligible for the NDIS, there are several questions you need to answer:

Do you have Australian residency?

To access the NDIS you must live in Australia and be:

Are you under 65 years of age?

To access the NDIS you must be aged under 65 years.

Is the NDIS available in your area?

To access the NDIS right now, you must live in an NDIS area. Find out if the NDIS is available in your part of Western Australia: NDIS regions in WA.

Do you have an impairment or condition th at is likely to be permanent and affects your day to day life?

To meet the NDIS disability rules you need to have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent (lifelong) and that stops you from doing everyday things by yourself.

The following questions may help you decide if your answer is ‘yes’.

Do you usually need support from a person or assistive equipment so you can:

  • Understand and be understood by other people?
  • Make and keep friends and cope with feelings and emotions?
  • Understand, remember, and learn new things?
  • Move around the home and outside the home?
  • Identify items to take a bath or shower, dress and eat?
  • Do daily jobs, handle money, and make decisions?
  • Do you need support now to reduce your support needs in the future?

To meet the NDIS early intervention rules, you need to:

  • Be a child under six years of age
  • Have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent (lifelong); or,
  • Have a developmental delay. The delay means you usually need more help with your self-care, communication, learning or motor skills than another child of the same age.

Note that early intervention supports provided by the NDIS are those not provided by any other services such as health and education.

The following questions may help you decide if your answer is ‘yes’.

Would early intervention supports:

  • Reduce the impact of the child’s impairment or condition or developmental delay?
  • Stop the impact of the child’s impairment or condition from getting worse?
  • Strengthen the child’s informal supports, such as helping a carer to keep supporting them?

Accessing the NDIS

If you answered ”Yes“ to all these questions (except question five if you are older than six years of age) you need to contact the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) on 1800 800 110 to ask for an access request form.

If you answered ’No‘ to any of these questions you may be able to get other support. Visit the NDIS website for more details: Access other services

What if I am already in a WA NDIS trial site?

The NDIS provides community information sessions in their Midland office twice a month. These sessions are for participants, families and carers.

In 2018, the NDIA took responsibility for delivery of the NDIS in Western Australia. For more questions and answers regarding the WA NDIS see the NDIS website.

What is available for people who are BVI and are over 65?

If you are over 65 years old

If you are over 65 you may be eligible for My Aged Care support.

For most people, you want to live independently in your own home as you get older. To do so you may need some additional support to get around safely, prepare meals, or undertake daily tasks.

Providers offer a range of allied therapy and support services, including help with equipment and aids to daily living that can help you remain independent in your own home.

They may also offer a range of activities at community-based centres, where you can meet other like-minded individuals.

For further information visit the My Aged Care website or call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422.

Other funding

The NDIS may be able to support you even if you are not eligible for funding. See the NDIS website: Other funding